Big Money

Big Money

I took this shot in the Big Bowl restaurant at Ridgedale Mall in Minnetonka, Minnesota. I used a Canon VT rangefinder (manufactured in 1957), with a Canon 50mm f/1.2 lens and Ilford Delta 100 film.


Clouds over the Cape

Cape Girardeau Clouds

I took this photograph in June 2018 in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, near where I grew up. I took the shot using my Mamiya C220, with an orange filter on the lens to help bring out the clouds. I used Ilford Delta 100 film (my favorite) and developed it in Kodak HC-110. (I like HC-110 because it’s cheap and lasts forever.)

I got only one shot on this roll. After this shot, the C220’s film advance jammed. I had it repaired, and it’s working reasonably well again.

The Old Fishin’ Hole

The Old Fishin' Hole, Moskva 5

The Ol’ Hillbilly took this photo by his favorite fishin’ hole in Carver Park, between Victoria and St. Bonifacius, Minnesota. I shot the photo with an old Moskva 5, a camera manufactured in the former Soviet Union. The Moskva 5 shoots 6×9 centimeter images on 120 roll film. The lens is a bit soft, but I like the instant vintage look from the camera. I shot this image on Ilford Delta 100 film, developed it in Kodak HC-110 (1:31 concentration), and scanned it on my Epson scanner.

A Century-Old Camera

Kodak Jr., Bde Maka Ska

I took this photo using a Kodak No. 1A Junior Autographic, manufactured sometime around late 1913 to 1914. I received the camera as a gift from a colleague of my wife. The camera was designed for use with type 116 film, which is no longer manufactured. I purchased adapters from the Film Photography Project┬áthat allowed me to use 120 film with the camera. I took this photograph late one afternoon at Bde Maka Ska (Lake Calhoun), not far from my home in Minneapolis. The camera’s finder is laughable, so this photo is not exactly straight.

Not Tonight, Dear

Nicca 3F 267

I shot this photo with an old Nicca 3-F rangefinder. It was manufactured in Japan in the mid-1950s, so it’s about as old as I am. The 3-F is a very, very close copy of the Leica IIIf. (I have one of those as well.)

I used a Canon 50mm f/1.8 Leica-thread-mount lens on the Nicca.┬áThis lens is an inexpensive way to get into vintage rangefinder lenses. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.2 lenses are both much more expensive. Most people consider the f/1.4 the best of the three lenses. I have all three, and they’re all fine lenses.

I took this shot on a cloudy winter day at Bredesen Park in Edina, Minnesota. I can’t remember the f-stop, but it appears pretty open–maybe f/4. I like the way the lens rendered the images. To me, the trees appear very three-dimensional.



Mamiya 220 Sunset 262I took this photo recently using my Mamiya C220. The C220 is a twin-lens reflex camera–that is, it has two lenses, one for taking and the other for composing. (I’ll post a photo sometime.) The upper lens is a “reflex,” in that it has a mirror and a fresnel lens to provide a viewing screen. The C220 shoots 120 film, a larger format than 35mm film. It also shoots on a square format (6×6 centimeters or 2 1/4″ square).

I shot this image using a 55mm lens, which is somewhat wide-angle–about the equivalent of a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera. I used Ilford Delta 100 with an orange filter to make the clouds more dramatic. The foreground is underexposed, of course. But I don’t mind.

Sadly, on the next roll of film, my C220 developed a fit of the vapors: it wouldn’t reliably advance the film. I took it in for repair–and purchased a 1938-vintage Zeiss Ikonta 532/16 to take its place temporarily.

I hope to get the C220 back soon. I like shooting it: it’s very, very intuitive, at least for an old hick like me.

The Old Hillbilly Goes Bowfishing Again

I have been driving down to southeast Missouri every now and then to see my two brothers. We are the last three of six siblings–seven if you count my half-brother, who was born in 1932. When I go down, I take a bowfishing rig and bowfish from bridges or banks. On my last trip, over Memorial Day weekend, I got quite a few fish, including this drum. I didn’t have a means of weighing it, but my brother and I both thought that it weighed between eight and ten pounds.

Bowfishing is a somewhat redneck sport–but it appeals to this old hillbilly. I enjoy the stalking and shooting. Shooting a fish underwater is difficult because of refraction: the fish will always be much lower than it appears from above. This fish was not very far away, but I aimed what appeared to be almost a foot below it.

It was hot down there: in the mid-90s, with tremendous humidity. On most summer days, the sky turns white down there from the haze. It’s not pollution: it’s just the humidity.

You should admire my stylish flip-up sunglasses. They’re actually useful: I keep flipping them up and down, depending on the light conditions.

Big Drum